[TowerTalk] 10 inch tube 100ft wind load? NN7J

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 10 inch tube 100ft wind load? NN7J
From: Robert Chudek - KØRC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:29:12 -0500
Dan,

You can put your numbers through the WD9P mast calculator and see what you get,
Here's the URL:  http://www.math.niu.edu/KARC/mast/

I put your numbers into the calculator, just out of my own curiosity...

SF = 2
WL = 0.004
MS = 60,000
OD = 10
ID = 9.732
TL = 100
HAS = 100
Ant1 = 1 + Area = 1
Ant2 = 0 + Area = 0
Ant3 = 0 + Area = 0

It told me this:

Survival velocity = 38.9 mph
Failure velocity = 55.1 mph
Mast Weight = 1,415.29 lbs

But if you used 1/2 inch wall, 10 inch diameter steel,

Survival velocity = 71.2 mph
Failure velocity = 100.6 mph
Mast Weight = 5,085.03 lbs

And if you used 1 inch wall, 10 inch diameter steel,

Survival velocity = 93.2 mph
Failure velocity = 131.9 mph
Mast Weight = 9,634.80 lbs

Of course if you are serious about installing something like this, a qualified
design engineer should be your first step. The calculator can give you an idea
of what kind of forces you are dealing with but as it warns, it is for
instructional use only.

Note, these figures were with a 1 sq ft two-meter vertical at the top, not even
a small yagi! You can plug in 8 to 20 sq feet of area for Antenna 1 and see
what happens. The results surprised me (assuming the calculator is working
correctly).

Free standing rotating tower systems like this have been engineered by HyGain
(I think) and were called "Big Berthas". I knew of 3 installations in
Minnesota, but nothing more. I'm sure other TT members can jump in with facts,
figures, and stories about these types of installations.

73 de Bob - K0RC in MN

Message: 7