Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55 thimbles and turnbuckles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55 thimbles and turnbuckles
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 10:50:21 EDT

Hi All, here is a bit of clarification on the Big Grip and thimble  size
issues:

Rohn does not make Big Grips; Preformed Line Products Co. makes them and
sells them to Rohn. 1/4" EHS uses a BG2144. All BG2144 grips are the same
design
whether purchased through Rohn/Radian or other distributors, such as Texas
Towers. There are other grips made for utility use that fit 1/4" EHS but they
are shorter, have fewer strands and not recommended for tower guy
applications.  These other grips will not be identified as Big Grips.

For the 1/4" Big Grip, BG2144, Preformed Products calls for a 1/2" thimble
and Rohn/Radian calls for a 3/8" heavy thimble. The groove in these two sizes
have the same dimension so it makes sense that either a 1/2" regular thimble
or  a 3/8" heavy thimble will work fine. Texas Towers carries the heavy series
because this is the size recommended by Rohn/Radian.

A 3/8" heavy thimble is a very close fit into the eye of a 1/2" X 12
turnbuckle. Once the legs are twisted apart, it takes only a slight
"persuasion"  to
push the thimble through the eye of the turnbuckle. If this seems like too
much effort then by all means a 1/2" shackle can be used to connect the thimble

and turnbuckle. Texas Towers has these shackles in stock as they are required
 when connecting Phillystran grips/thimbles to turnbuckles and other
hardware.

Joining Phillystran to EHS can be done by back to back thimbles or with
shackles.

73,
Gerald Williamson
General Manager/Texas Towers

In a message dated 8/31/2006 6:22:47 A.M. Central Daylight Time,