[TowerTalk] Grounding Roof-Mounted Mast

To: <TowerTalk@Contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding Roof-Mounted Mast
From: "Kevin Hemsley" <kev@ida.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:05:18 -0600
I had a question posed to me today that I'm not sure what to recommend. The
installation is at a commercial building. They wish to install a 2M vertical on
top of a two-story building. They currently have a 60' tower with HF antenna
that is located 150' from where a new mast will be installed for the 2M
vertical. They want to ground the mast, and wanted to know if they should run a
separate ground wire for this mast, or to run a ground wire to the tower which
is approximately 150' away. A direct ground wire will be about 75' from the
mast to the ground. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
                  Kevin.
Kevin Hemsley