[TowerTalk] CATV Hardline

To: "Towertalk submit" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CATV Hardline
From: "Tom Hellem" <tomhellem@czo.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:41:30 -0500
I have three spool ends of 3/4" CATV hardline, the stuff with the rigid
aluminum jacket. It was lying in a field for probably upwards of 10 years.
When you look at the open end, the dielectric appears to be somewhat
deteriorated, but cutting off 6 inches or so reveals what looks to me like
it's in good shape. I am contemplating using the stuff for a 300 foot run
out to my tower, underground. It will need to be spliced a couple times,
which I would accomplish by briging the cable ends up above ground, twisting
and soldering the center conductor together and bond the outer jacket, all
in some sort of weatherproof junction box.
Does this sound like it could work, or am I just asking for trouble? Is
there a way to test the stuff? Could it be contaminated and unuseable while
still appearing to be in good condition?
Any input would be appreciated.

Tom Hellem K0SN
Porterfield, WI