Re: [TowerTalk] Tower mast

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower mast
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:57:21 -0400
From: "Merlin-7 KI4ILB" <merlin-7@sc.rr.com>
To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 5:33 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower mast

>I like the chain thru the side of the shack idea.
>
> What if, I ran the chain thru some pipe between the gear on the mast and
> the gear on the steering wheel inside the shack? It could be pvc as long
> as I support it well at the tower and the holes drilled thru the shack
> would support that end. Plus that would stop a lot of the problems with
> the chain being exposed to the weather...An iced up or rusted chain  would
> really suck!
> Putting the chain in a pipe or tube should do away with any slack that
> would tend to derail the chain and is very easy and cheap to do.
>
> Also, it would be easy to make the hardware to attach a sproket to the
> mast.
> I was thinking instead of bicycle chains and sprokets useing some 530
> motorcycle chain and sprokets. Any mortorcycle repair shop should have
> some used ones cheap.
>
> Any more ideas?

A well oiled chain doesn't rust.
A well oiled chain is a real mess.<:-))

You might take some plastic containers to make a weater cover to protect the
chain so only a light coat of oil would be necessary to prevent rust.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)