Re: [TowerTalk] 160 meter vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 meter vertical
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:50:17 -0500
wire = #12, coil Q = 400 which gives about 2.3 ohms loss, and 64 quarter
wave radials which gives about 7 ohms ground loss. This resonates at
1.85 MHz, feedpoint impedance is 13 ohms, 2:1 bandwidth, if matched, is
17 KHz. So you need a 50 to 13 ohm matching network at the base, but
since you only have 17 KHz bandwidth, you may want a variable matching
network.

To build an 80 uH coil you need #10 wire, 6 inches long, 4 inches
diameter, and 38 turns.  It sould be built similar to the way air dux
coils are made to reduce losses. In other words, don't use a PVC form.
Try a couple pieces of plastic at right angles. If you use a form that
adds significantly more capacitnace you will need to increase the number
of turns.

Radiation resistance of this antenna (no R losses) is about 3.2 ohms.
There is a 3 dB loss due to resistance.  There is 2.3 ohms in the coil,
7 ohms in the ground, and 0.83 ohms in the 45 ft wire. A matching
network at the base to match 50 ohms to 13 ohms is likely to have
another 3 dB loss since this is a particularly difficult task at 160 meters.

Best way to improve the antenna is to raise the radiation resistance.
That means making it longer. A little improvement can be made by using
center loading. More improvement can be made by using top loading.
Converting it to an inverted L would be much better, provided that the
end of the horizontal wire is at a significant height.  Running it back
to a lower height will lower the radiation resistance again.

Jerry, K4SAV