Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection - AGAIN

To: "a TowerTalk COL" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection - AGAIN
From: "Thomas Giella KN4LF" <flcyclone@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:56:06 -0400
Martin et all,

I'm a retired Meteorologist and Space Plasma Physicist. Early on I was a
proponent of the lightning strike prevention and/or reduction system concept,
even though the scientific explanation by the manufacturer of how the device
worked seemed flawed. Here in my local area we have two city owned power
companies. Both companies installed the lightning strike prevention systems and
though they still took direct lightning strikes, anecdotal evidence pointed to
a reduction in lightning strike frequency. Actually early on they took no
direct lightning strikes and were convinced that the installed system was
working.

I conducted 10 years of experiments with the porcupine/spline ball air
terminals here in west central Florida and said system did not prevent direct
lightning strikes. I used 50 foot Rohn telescoping push up masts for the
experiments jumpering the sections together for DC continuity.

I still took a direct lightning strike every 1.5 to 2 years with the
porcupine/spline balls installed. I had one as recently as July 19th, 2006 and
published a website about it http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf60.htm .

Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Lakeland, FL, USA
Grid Square EL97AW
kn4lf@arrl.net

KN4LF Amateur & SWL Radio History: http://www.kn4lf.com
Radiowave Propagation Yahoo eGroup:
New Scientific Evidence for the Existence of God:
http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/audio/newevidence.htm

Checked by AVG Free Edition.