Re: [TowerTalk] TVI and Direct TV

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TVI and Direct TV
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 00:11:10 -0400

We have Charter here as well, but the Township had some hams on the planning
comission.<:-))
To be able to come into the township they had to agree *any* TVI problems
were their problems and would be fixed post haste. They were not to cause
problems and should one of us get into to the systems they were to admit
they had a leak to fix and to point out it was not the ham's fault.  Worked
right well so far.

I have high speed cable with the modem and router setting about three feet
from my Alpha 76.
I run all bands, 160 through 440 MHz with the exception of 220.  I'm quite
active on 6-meters.  So far after all these years I've had nary a problem
with them nor have I ever heard anything on 145.25 out here. In town (which
is not in our township) is a different matter.

I run Off the Air (OTA) digital and analog TV including a number of high
definition stations.  The TV antennas are mounted at roughly 90 feet on the
tower. One points due south where I have a range of close to 100 miles and
the other points WNW. Both have remote amps mounted at the antennas and are
about 15 to 20 feet from the 2-meter antennas and about 8 feet from the tri
bander.

I also have Dish Network with the dish at roughly 15 feet on the tower. The
coax for the dish and the TV antennas runs in the conduit with the coax for
the ham antennas.  I also have basic cable which come sin underground, but
from the other side of the house.  I only have the basic cable so I could
get the high speed Internet connection at 5 Mbs.

I did have C-band as well but with the number of subscribers dropping the
prices were going out of sight. I still have the 11' dish.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com

I used to be on charter cable here and I had all sorts of problems with TVI
here in the house and with the neighbors when I ran high power.  We have
since switched to dish network, and my problems here in the house are gone.
Both my neighbors next door, and across the street have the dish, and I
haven't had any more complaints.  I like the dish!!!   73
Tom W7WHY

My new neighbor, a football coach, just installed a DirectTV dish
approximately 30 feet from the site of my tower, and approximately 12 feet
up.  My tower was going to be approximately 40' tall, with a tribander, 2M
beam and 6M beam on top.  This means that the dish will be 39' away from the
mast, and aiming directly at my beam.

Am I hosed?

Scott, aka KBØFHP