Re: [TowerTalk] "tower in the woods"

To: "Doug Hansel" <mustbhe@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "tower in the woods"
From: "mryan001" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:31:58 -0400
I'm with you Doug. I would simply clear some space for guy wire LANES and
put up the towers. I posted a response about OCF dipoles and how I strung
one between towers in my own woods in Virginia.  The towers were up for 9
yrs.  The only real threat for mine at the time was when I discovered that I
had beavers living in a pond on the property. Those guys look up at a tree
and decided they want to topple a 100ft oak tree because one limb at the top
looks tasty.  I had the Prince William County remove the beavers and all was
quiet on the western front.  You simply have to be vigilante, walk the
property and take out the dead wood/trees and/or those that need be for
obvious reasons. Take a look around the lot you have and plan. Consider the
options you have with respect to which antennas and where they will go or
should go on which towers, whether you can gain some advantage with a
certain placement given the opportunity to feed the towers as verticals for
80 or 160 and other factors.   Then...go for it. Just watch out for spotted
owls, yellow bellied sap suckers, manatees and bald eagle nests.  - Mike