Re: [TowerTalk] Thanks all... N or UHF?

To: K8RI on TowerTalk <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thanks all... N or UHF?
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:57:35 -0400
Roger:  An elegant solution to your "real problem" ie grounding coax
shield at the top of the tower.  I use PL259's but the same solution
works with N connectors.

I use a bulkhead feedthru, double female, I forget the number.  Attach a
piece of stainless steel strap to the middle of bulkhead with a standard
hose clamp, then attach both the antenna jumper and main run coax
connectors to the bulkhead then seal it.  I use a single wrap of 88
followed by a double wrap of 130 linerless rubber tape (stretch it to at
least three times its length before wrapping) then two layers of 88 over
the 130.  The free end of the stainless strap is hose clamped to the
tower leg. Of course the stainless strap should point down coming out of
the bulkhead connection to avoid water migration.

Cheap, effective, waterproof and easy to get at with a sharp utility
knife should the need arise.  Connectors are like brand new after
several years if you do the taping job well.  If you really want to keep
moisture away cut a hole in the bottom of a 12 to 16 ounce water bottle
and slip that on the coax before you make the connection, then slide the
bottle over the wrapped connection and attach all to the tower with tape
or tie wraps.

I do this at the tower top and again at the bottom of the tower for
each  feedline.  This method, coupled with Polyphasers at the SPG has
kept me free from lightening damage for years.  Touch wood!

Its cheaper than the Andrews grounding kits and works just as well for
RG8X as it does for 1/2 inch hardline.

Hope I have explained it well enough for you to visualize.  73 bob de w9ge