Re: [TowerTalk] Strange problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strange problem
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:56:41 -0500
A coax choke is not going to significantly effect forward gain unless
you have a bad connection. It could effect front-to-back if the choke is
done incorrectly. If the SWR is OK, then it is probably the angle of
signal arrival.  A signal arriving at about 23 degrees will hit a null
on your 85 ft antenna, and it will be many dB down from your 50 ft
antenna (assuming you are on flat ground). Actually the 50 ft antenna
should beat the 85 ft antenna for anything arriving between 18 and 28
degrees on 20 meters.

Jerry, K4SAV