Re: [TowerTalk] Sinking ground rods

To: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sinking ground rods
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:17:21 -0500
Another way is to use a fence post driver available at many Lowe's and
Home Depot store or nearly any farm and ranch supply store.  It is a 2-3
foot piece of pipe sealed on one end with handles on the side.  Also
generally won't mess up the end of the ground rod like a sledge hammer
that makes it hard to get a copper clamp over the end.  You'll have to
use a sledge hammer the last 2-3 feet.

If you have a plant root feeder hooked up a hose and letting water run
at a trickle or something maybe a little faster through the root feeder
for a day or two really softens up the "black gumbo" heavy clay soil we
have here in North Texas.

I once discovered a minor drip in a faucet near where I was putting in
an 8 foot ground rod in a flower bed and apparently the faucet had
dripped so long that I was able to shove the ground rod in by hand 5-6
feet (really) and just had to lightly pound the top a few times to get
it to the point where less than a foot was out of the ground.  Yes, I
had wondered why my water bill had gone up the previous couple of months.

Tom, WW5L