Re: [TowerTalk] Tilting large towers

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tilting large towers
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 09:17:36 -0600
Hi, TTers;

Al Williams's analysis is correct.  Rick's added note on using a jack to
start the tilt and to catch the tower when raising is a good idea.  If
not restrained, it can land pretty hard.

I have used a nylon rope from the tower to a truck to start the tilt,
utilizing the stretch of the rope. Stretch the rope, relax the force
holding the tower, stretch the rope more, etc, until the tower is over
center and gravity is tilting it.

Before raising, I shorten the rope used to start the tilt, so that it
becomes taut before the tower falls onto its base.  I raise the tower
until the rope becomes tight, than begin alternately  letting out rope
and continuing to raise the tower, so that the rope holds the tower as
it begins to fall into place.  A block of wood catches the tower leg as
it engages the mounting.  After the tower is resting on the block,  I
lift the tower with a pry to remove the block and let the tower down to
align the mounting holes.

I may replace the pry with a jack, as Rick suggests.  I'll just leave
the jack at the height where the tower began to tilt until the tower
returns to contact the jack, then lower the jack, keeping the raising
cable under tension to keep gusts from lifting the tower off the jack,
to let the tower down gently into its mount.

73 de WOØW