Re: [TowerTalk] Nuther Nooby question

To: w7psk@w7psk.net, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Nuther Nooby question
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:21:35 +0000
Scotty:

     This subject was discussed on TowerTalk several years ago but, unlike true
north and owls, has not been seen since.  I was unable to find any postings in
the archives - probably used the wrong key words.  What I recall of the
postings, which I applied to my own tower installation, is the following:

     Loosely install all components of the rotator, bearing, mast and shelves
on the tower.  Tighten the bearing's setscrews against the mast.  Then tighten
the following components in the order shown:  mast to rotator clamp; rotator to
shelf bolts; shelf to tower bolts.  This sequence ensures that any small
misalignments are compensated for by the next stage of tightening.  I followed
this procedure and to this day, five years after initial installation, my
rotator turns the mast freely without binding.

     As another precaution against binding, I installed a self-aligning
bearing, not a TB-3.  This commercial bearing allows for up to 2 degrees (I
think) of axial misalignment betweeen the bearing and the shaft/mast.

     Did I miss anything, fellows?

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: w7psk@w7psk.net