[TowerTalk] TIC Ring 1122E alignment

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TIC Ring 1122E alignment
From: "Bruce Meier" <bemeier@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:10:22 -0500
HELP ! ! !

I recently purchased a TIC ring 1122E rotor to be part of my new antenna
farm.    Since it was delivered I have been trying to get the mechanical
rotor aligned with both the digital readout and the analog pot used to
actually turn the rotor.    TIC sent me a new motor assembly thinking it
could be related to incorrect gearing, but the result was exactly the same -
failure.   Carl (from TIC) is in the process of putting together a test
installation to see if he would have the same issue(s) that I am having.

In the mean time - here is a brief description of what I am doing and
seeing - - - - -

> After following the alignment procedure, which is very similar to my Yaesu
G1000 and G2800 rotors,  the mechanical rotation is roughly 425 degrees
instead of 360 degrees.
> This is calculated based on the following:
    - rotate the Ring full CCW - mark the stop location, do the trim pot
adjustment / alignment based on the manual
    - rotate the Ring full CW - mark the stop location, do the trim pot
adjustment / alignment based on the manual
    - do this a few times until the readings on the digital readout are both
180 degrees after CCW/CW rotations
    - note the overshoot distance from the CCW and CW markings
    - measure the distance along the ring (in inches) of the overshoot = 12
1/2"
    - As the ring is 22" diameter, the circumference is 22 x 3.1416 = 69"
    - so, the overshoot (in degrees) is (12.5/69)x 360 or 65 degrees
    - the total rotation is then 360 degrees + 65 degrees or 425 degrees

When this is done -
    > the mechanical moves 425 degrees, the digital reads 180 to 0 to 180
(360 degrees), the analog reads 180 to 0 to 180 (360 degrees).
    > the actual location of the mechanical (really the antenna) NEVER
aligns with the digital or analog readout that would be in the shack.   So,
you have no clue where your antenna is really pointing!!!

If anyone has a 1122E and has had success or failures with the alignment and
would not mind me calling them on the telephone - please send you phone
number to my email address.   n1ln@arrl.net     If you would prefer to call
me, send me an email (direct) and I will send you my phone number.

Thanks for the help - PLEASE ! !

73,
Bruce - N1LN
(aka:  NC4KW)