Re: [TowerTalk] 2 Meter Antenna Mounted on a 160 Meter Vertical

To: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 Meter Antenna Mounted on a 160 Meter Vertical
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:48:38 -0800
Hi Phil: One of the projects I worked on before retirement required a very
effective coax feedline choke. I solved the problem by stripping the lossy
vinyl off a short section of the feedline, winding it on a grooved lucite
rod to make an inductor, and connecting a variable capacitor across the
inductor. When this is tuned to resonance the impedance developed is
considerably higher than the usual self resonant coils we use and there is
no cut and try needed. If you want to do the absolute best job, I would
strip the vinyl and shield off the coax used in the inductor and insert it
into a close fitting piece of copper tubing. Coil this into an inductor and
I believe this would be an excellent solution to your problem. You would
probably want to mount this assembly in a weather proof box.
73, Dan, N5AR