Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vee vs. Dipole QRN

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vee vs. Dipole QRN
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 11:33:24 -0800 (PST)
Jim Lux wrote:
> At 08:05 AM 11/4/2006, Bill Turner wrote:
>

> Just curious.. I've heard and read the assertion of "man-made noise
> being predominantly vertically polarized", but after some casual
> research, I can't find an original source of the data.  Does anyone
> know the basis of the assertion?  Actual measurements? Where? What
> frequencies? When?

Any inverted vee is a much better receive antenna that any vertical at
my QTY.  So at least at my QTH, it's just a fact.  Now if I drive my mobile
to a place with no power lines, the receive noise during the day
drops to virtually zero.  Hence, the vertical is picking up man
made noise.  I should also note that if I drive the mobile around
in areas (even rural) with power lines, the noise is always much
higher than in no power line areas.

Rick N6RK