Re: [TowerTalk] Restoring Beam Antennas

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com, mel@melwhitten.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Restoring Beam Antennas
From: Jack - K4WSB <K4WSB@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:50:37 -0500
I had a ham fried who was the radio office on a sulphur ship.  Over
the years he tried everything to attempt to protect his
antennas.  Needless to say, between the salt & sulphur fumes nothing worked.
On one occasion he sprayed Krylon and found that once the paint
cracked it allowed moisture to creep under the paint and caused more corrosion.

This was more than a few years back so my question is:  are the
current acrylics more flexible and less prone to cracking?  Once it
does crack will it not cause for more problems?

At 08:37 AM 11/9/2006, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 11/3/2006 5:46:19 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
>
> >  I use Krylon #1301 Crystal Clear Gloss acrylic, available  most
>hardware/paint stores.
>Drys quick about 50 deg F.
>_http://www.hardwareworld.com/Sp-Crystal-Clear-Acrylic-pC443NR.aspx_
>(http://www.hardwareworld.com/Sp-Crystal-Clear-Acrylic-pC443NR.aspx)
>
>    Some professional installers use this as the final  coating on a coax
>connector joint over the final wrap of tape. It's better  than
>ScotchKote since
>ScotchKote is meant for buried applications and does dry  up and
>blow away when
>used in normal tower/cable applications.
>
>     I'd be careful with the spray acrylic around some  antenna insulators. I
>had a customer spray his new KT34XA with a coating of  Krylon acrylic and the
>danged stuff melted and cracked the Lexan element  insulators.

Jack Hartley
K4WSB / VP2MSB
ARRL - QCWA - OOTC
DXCC Honor Roll