Re: [TowerTalk] One more question on PL-259s

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Cecil Moore" <w5dxp@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One more question on PL-259s
From: "Mel Whitten" <mel@melwhitten.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 22:26:15 -0600
Cecil,

I've read somewhere that solid wires should not be
crimped.  But after using GOOGLE to read more about
it, I see "solid" mentioned in several areas.  However, I have
an IPC Requirements and Acceptance standard which has many
pages/examples of crimping and not -one- example of a
crimped connection using a solid wire. I believe this is
the reason:
"Crimping involves the application of an external force (F),
which deforms the individual strands of a copper wire in the
tool plastically by stressing them to beyond the yield point of the
material.
This produces what is called cold weld."

Not possible, I believe to get a "cold weld" as KISTLER
web site refers using solid wires.  IDC or insertion displacement
connections is similar to a crimp and here you will see solid
wires.  So now I have seen threads on cad weld, copper weld
and now we have cold weld.   Plastically here I believe, means
cold flow of the material.  Gas tight connection so it won't
oxidize.

I am sure someone on the list can answer your question directly,
but I am firm believer in crimping when done with the proper
tools and materials since it can provide a superior connection.

The reason why I don't crimp the center connector is because
I do not have a crimp tool for it the PL259.  I am more concerned
with full-braid contact and not damaging the cable's dielectric material.
This is especially important, of course on VHF and beyond where
N type or other constant impedance connectors are a must.

Allied (Amphenol) did make a clamp type (no solder required
for the braid) PL259 connector.  Only the center pin was soldered.
P/N 83-851. I could never keep the "clamp" tight if handled
very often.

Mel, K0PFX