Re: [TowerTalk] TIC 1122 Fixed

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TIC 1122 Fixed
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:39:18 -0600
With some exceptions, I think everyone who owns these
beasts would like to see the company stay in business.
That desire is probably in proportion to the number of
units owned. I only own one TIC ring, so I don't have
a great deal invested compared to some others.

I think that experience with TIC rings vairies widely.
Some have put up a dozen without trouble, while others
have experienced significant trouble with a single ring
installation. I have personally been through three motors,
almost a dozen 500-ohm pots, and two or three control units.
I've had to swap out motors at least a dozen times, and
I estimate that 70% of my tower trips were TIC-ring related.
Some of the problems were not the fault of the TIC gear, but
many of them were.

It wasn't just installation issues. Folks who knew what they
were doing (W4AN & others) had some rings that worked great and
other units that were constantly problematic no matter what.
I ran an email reflector (it's been inactive lately) for TIC-ring
owners, and I know something of other's experiences with these
units.

There HAVE been some real problems in QA/QC at times. I have
personally had to junk two TIC control units, both of which
rarely worked 100% OK. I'm convinced now that the last TIC
controller I used was burning up pots like wildfire. I have
had different size gears in replacement cause very confusing
problems, etc.  I've shipped controllers and motors to-and-from
TIC more times than I can remember. Carl is courteous and tries
to get things right, but it costs every time.  I finally broke
down and bought a Green Heron controller at Dayton this year,
and I have not had to climb my tower since.

The ring itself and motor assemblys are very sound. If you can
get a working controller unit (I recommend Green Heron) and you
can keep the pots from burning up, the TIC can be a great
solution. But caveat emptor! As one poster put it years ago
"these things are not Heathkit." The ring mount and bearing
mechanism are still working fine after 8 years in the air.

If you own a TIC ring and would like to join the TIC owners
reflector, feel free to drop me a line.

73

-Kirk  K4RO