Re: [TowerTalk]Solder them thar connections - 1ØØW Gun for Ten Bux

To: "'AA6DX - Mark'" <aa6dx@arrl.net>,"'TowerTalk'" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk]Solder them thar connections - 1ØØW Gun for Ten Bux
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 18:16:24 -0600
Nope "you" ain't doing it right if you think you got it soldered with a 100
watt gun. You just can't get enough heat from one to do the correct job.
With that size gun it takes much too long to get the connector hot enough so
that the CONNECTOR will melt solder if you can even get it that hot. By that
time you have melted the center conductor insulation and the outer cover on
the coax. You will still end up with cold solder connections with the braid.

Get a 250/300 watt gun if you are going to use a gun.

73
Gary  K4FMX