[TowerTalk] Thermite?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thermite?
From: WarrenWolff@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:33:31 EST

Greetings TTalkers,

Technically, thermite is formed from  iron oxide and aluminum.  When "fired",
the
aluminum chemically replaces the iron  because aluminum is a good bit higher
on the
Activity Table. The molten iron  WILL burn through concrete. If I recall
correctly, the temperature soars above  900 degrees during this process.

The intelligence electronics on board  the USS Pueblo was supposed to be
protected by
thermite bombs on the top of each rack  of equipment.  Because the ship was
rushed into service, this type of  security system was not installed.  So, the
"radiomen" used hand grenades  in lieu thereof -- hence the casualty figure!
Plus, it was much easier for  the bad guys to reconstruct our latest gear.

A similar "thermite type  reaction" occurs when copper oxide is substituted
for the
iron oxide; copper is even farther down  the Activity Table.  The molten
copper is what we need to form the great  physical and electrical connections
we
need for lightning events.

Warren;  W7WY