Re: [TowerTalk] mast strength

To: "'Gregg Seidl'" <k9kl@centurytel.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] mast strength
From: "W5LT" <W5LT@tx.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 17:25:02 -0600
Gregg:
The 87,000 is the stress in pounds per square inch required for the metal to
yield.  You need to know the cross sectional configuration of your mast, (OD
and wall thickness) and calculate what is known as the "section Modulus".
You then divide the bending force in inch-pounds by the section modulus to
determine the actual stress for your assumed conditions. Then divide the
answer into 87,000 to determine your safety factor.
You should have a 2:1 safety factor for good, safe design.
If you want I can send you an Excel file with various size mast
configurations with section modulus figures and you can figure what is best
for you.

73s

Bob, W5LT