[TowerTalk] CDE Rotor Problems

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] CDE Rotor Problems
From: Chuck N7BV <ck2jones@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:15:53 -0800 (PST)
GE Towertalkers,

I have a problem with a Ham II rotor.  The unit is not
a matched pair, meaning the rotor and controller were
bought used separately.  The controller is marked
Ham-II/CD44 Series 1 636. The controller has the
capacitor on 4&8 and the rotor has 500-ohms on pins
3&7, which, I believe means they should work together.

The rotor was overhauled by a professional rotor
service last year and has been on the shelf as a
spare.

Swapped out my bad rotor (gears stripped in the recent
wind storm) put in the reconditioned CDE Ham II shelf
spare.   It tested fine on the bench with a 100ft of
cable; tested fine on the tower before being mounted;
again after mounting; and tested fine after everyone
came down off the tower.  Swung the rotor
approximately 20-degrees east; then 20-degrees west
each time.  Rotor was set on North to begin with.

An hour or so later went to move the control box to
its home place on the desk; one of the wires popped
loose (power was off); so I thought what the heck I
will put terminal lugs on the wires and do it right -
once reconnected the unit would not turn.

Symptoms:  1)  AC comes on;  2)  Meter points
correctly NNE;  3) The brake releases (can hear the
clunk out at the tower); and 4) The unit does not turn
in either direction.

All voltage and ohm checks made according to the
manual indicate the unit should work, but it doesn't.
Have swapped out the control box with a Ham-IV with
the same results.  Have changed out the motor
capacitor twice.

Am trying to avoid going up the tower in - you guessed
it - the northwest sunshine - rain!   Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Thanks.  Chuck

73s
Chuck  N7BV
Ex: 6W8FP 9L1CA CN8ES

The all-new Yahoo! Mail beta
Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
http://new.mail.yahoo.com