[TowerTalk] Fastening sections of 3" boom material

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fastening sections of 3" boom material
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:20:42 -0000
For splices of 3 inch x 1/8 wall boom, I use 2 1/2" Schedule 40 6061-T6
aluminum pipe.  The O.D. is 2.875 and the I.D. is 2.469.  Then I have the
O.D. machined to 2.735 - 2.740.

John KK9A / P40A

To: towertalk@contesting.com
From: Bill Turner
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:36:43 -0800

I'm considering building a long yagi for 20 meters and I see the ARRL
antenna book recommends using 3" aluminum tubing for the boom. One
thing I don't find is how to connect the sections together. There
doesn't appear to be a standard tubing size which would slip either
inside or outside the 3" tubing to allow clamping or riveting. Or
maybe I just missed it.

Any suggestions?

Bill, W6WRT