[TowerTalk] Really light tower suggestions.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Really light tower suggestions.
From: <k8jdc@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:01:31 -0500
Dan,

     I also have a homebrew 20m Moxon built out of fishing poles.  It has
surprised me from time to time with its performance.  Mine is mounted on a
Rohn telescopic mast (I believe it's the H50 model that goes to 44 feet
maximum).  The Rohn version is more robust than the Channelmaster version
and I got mine for a reasonable cost (less than $90).  I don't know exactly
where you might find one.  I got mine locally from R&L Electronics in
Hamilton, OH.  I followed the advice of others and removed the top section
as it was a little too small.  This makes the maximum extension about 35
feet, which is okay.

     One other possibility is to use a roof tripod.  I don't know if this
will work in your case, but the light-duty ones are not terribly expensive
and you probably wouldn't require any guy lines.  It's also on the peak of
the roof, so the height might be okay.  Just a thought.

     I've learned some lessons on the telescopic masting.  If you haven't
used them before and would like further info, contact me off-list.

73,

Dave / K8JDC