Re: [TowerTalk] Where does the element go?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, dezrat@copper.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Where does the element go?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:40:56 EST

In a message dated 11/22/2006 8:18:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  Nearly all of the all-metal yagis I've seen have the  elements mounted
on top of the boom. I wonder why?

>  If  they were mounted under the boom, gravity would be working to keep
the boom  in place instead of constantly trying to turn the boom over.
This is such a  common design I'm wondering what am I missing?

    Umm, locked into "conventional wisdom"? Just  about all antenna
manufacturers did just that for years and it was an  installation PITA because
the
antennas would be top-heavy and would try to  turn turtle during installation.
Tom, N6BT, of Force 12 recognized the fallacy  of the design (and several
others)
and improved it by putting the elements  under the boom. Unfortunately the
SteppIRs have even more weight on top of the  boom but that's another story.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH