[TowerTalk] Foundation for a tilt-over

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Foundation for a tilt-over
From: "Brent Baum" <bbaum@utah.gov>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:22:51 -0700
My crank up tower has a pivot mounted about 30 inches from the bottom for a
tilt over feature. (See http://K7MEIphotos.spaceslive.com/for photos of the
tower)

My question is: Can I sink an pair of I-beams into the concrete base to form
the vertical supports to mount to the pivot or will this cause the concrete to
spall and eventually blow apart?

Would it be better to sink J-bolts into the concrete and devise some sort of
base plate with vertical supports up to the pivot, i.e. sort of like an
elevated base pivot?

I live in Northern Utah, Southeast of Park City, 70 mph required wind load and
36 inch frostline foundation depth per local codes. Low rainfall, low humidity,
but tremendous temperature fluctuations throughout the year - Summers to about
105 f. max and winters to as low as -30 f. min.

Thanks for the help.
K7MEI, Brent