Re: [TowerTalk] HF vertical opinions

To: "'Jim Lux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HF vertical opinions
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:26:45 -0500
Jim,

The only problem with a fixed length vertical and adjustable
matching system is that the take off angle goes up in a hurry.

Last I looked, the TO of a ground mounted 33 foot vertical on
21 MHz was above 40 degrees.  12 and 10 meters were similarly
high and the lobe on 17 meters was within 2 dB from 18 to 40
degrees.

The takeoff angles on 15 meters and above are really too high
to be of much use ... the antenna really needs some kind of
phasing or decoupling stubs for operation above 20 MHz....

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV