Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:07:19 -0500
From: "Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD" <mail@hatzakis.net>
To: "'K8RI on TowerTalk'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>;
<towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 9:47 PM

> Hi Jim,
>
> I've been following some of this thread, but I am curious why you are
> considering using LMR600 for a Steppir with 6m.
>
> I mean, seems to me that for a 300 foot run, at 50mhz, LMR600 has 1.4db
> loss
> and LMR400 superflex has a total loss of 2.1db.  LMR600 is exactly twice
> the

At 50 MHz:
Using the times wire page I get 1.2 db for 300' of LMR-600, 2.7 db for
LMR-400 and 3.3 db for LMR-400UF

Minimum *repeated* bending radius is    LMR-600 = 6", LMR-400 = 4",  400UF =
4"
You would not want to be bending it to these radiuses on a regular basis as
with a rotator loop. You'd want at *least* 3 to 5 times as much radius for a
rotator loop.  I use a 3 turn, 18" diameter loop, or (3 * 9 = 27" effective
radius)

Weight  in pounds per foot:  LMR-600 0.131, LMR-400 = 0.068 and LMR-400UF =
0.09
> weight with the same temperature range and are both made with copper clad
> aluminum.  I believe LMR600 is multiple times the cost.  LMR400 is much
> easier to use, has almost half the bend radius.

Cost is (depending on where you go) LMR-400 = $0.64/ft and LMR-600 =
$1.60/ft list. Prices vary widely from bulk to retail.

Don't forget that crimp on connectors for LMR-600 may be close to twice the
price of those used on LMR-400.  Clamp type are more.

> I have a Steppir and three VHF/UHF antennas on top of a 70ft tower and run
> LMR400 to all four of them using 100' vertical run and a 150' underground
> run.  I bought a spool of LMR400 and got a good quantity discount locally.
> They slide well with lube.  Been in a buried tube for 5 years now and work

My runs of LMR-400 are about the same and have been in for about the same
time.

I'm going with the 600 for 144 and 440 MHz.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com