Re: [TowerTalk] custom aluminum panels-acrylic, ABS, too.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] custom aluminum panels-acrylic, ABS, too.
From: "Jason Creager" <jason@creager.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:00:10 -0800
Front Panel Express is pretty cool for one-off panels, but they're majorly
expensive compared to having a non-metallic panel cut on an Epilog Laser.
The thing about FrontPanelExpress and some of those pcb boardhouses with
their own "custom" software is that you're locked in to using their
service...which is where you ultimately pay for the software. I have a part
time gig at a theatrical company here in town. We use them for the front
panels for a large console. It would be much cheaper if they would AutoCAD
the design and have it made somewhere else, but they never seem to find the
time.

Here's a trick I found with FPE. Even though you can't have your panel made
by anyone else, you can print it. If you happen to print it on a full sheet
label, then stick it to a piece of thin, sturdy cardboard (like a USPS
Priority Mail box), you can check your panel's fit and placement. The
cardboard is strong enough to even let you cut out the switch holes and pop
a switch into it. My panelmount Carling 651 (?) rockers fit perfectly and
they're not easily removed.

The only catches to using an Epilog laser is that they cannot cut metals,
PVC, vinyl, polycarbonate (Lexan), or carbon fiber. So, the aluminum is
out, but cutting holes in smoked acrylic and raster etching the words looks
very cool. You can even have the graphics cut into the back of the panel,
then rear illuminate them for a really cool effect. Lots of sign shops use
them, so you ought to be able to someone near you that has one. O

Just layout your design in any format that CorelDraw can import and follow
a couple of very easy rules. A panel for one project of mine was going to
cost over $50 from FrontPanelExpress, but it was barely over $15 from a
laser company.

One other thing we do at the shop for a smaller production item that uses
one of the world's most expensive project boxes is to print out a full
color copy of the panel, then use the Xyron laminator to turn it into a big
sticker. The Xyron 1200 machine will laminate and "stickerize" anything up
to 12" wide. Now, why on earth we choose to laminate the front, then change
cartridges, and run it through again to attach the adhesive instead of
doing it in one step with the "laminate/sticker" cartridge is beyond my
comprehension, but they happily pay $60 in labor to hand cut something that
could be water-jetted for $10, too.