[TowerTalk] Stretching THHN house wiring

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stretching THHN house wiring
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:52:13 -0500
Is THHN and similar, garden-variety house wire soft-drawn or hard?  If the
former, what is a reasonable expectation as to how much it will stretch under,
say, 100 lb of tension before work hardening sets in and it stops?

The reason I ask is that the resonant frequency of my 4-dipole lazy-vee array
for 80 seems to have shifted downward about 150 KHz, which would be 4- 5
percent, and I'm wondering if stretching could account for that.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
Full details on 3226 contest stations
recently updated at http://www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm