Re: [TowerTalk] Stuck aluminum tubes and caution

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stuck aluminum tubes and caution
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:20:14 -0500
As others have already noted penetrating oil and heat, but I'd add a caution
about heat.

As for penetrating oils, PB-Blaster is one of the best along with MouseMilk
(really). You'll probably be more likely to find PB-Blaster at the hardware
and big box stores.  The stuff works far, far better than WD-40 which isn't
all that bad. Given a choice though and particularly when I maybe saving
substantial money, I'd get some of the PB-Blaster.  Use patience. Stand the
tubes on end so the penetrating oil will tend to drain into the tubes and
give it over night.  If if won't come apart by itself then go ahead and use
some heat, sparingly.

A little more drastic would be packing the inside with dry ice just before
heating the outside.

Good Luck,

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com