Re: [TowerTalk] Stuck aluminum tubes and caution

To: K8RI on TowerTalk <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stuck aluminum tubes and caution
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:07:57 +0100 (CET)
Roger said:
>Particularly on the two pieces I have that were driven together.   They are
>probably gauled, but if not, or
minimally I just might be able to get them apart.<
If they were driven together, I don't have a lot of hopes, although you may be
lucky. A lot will depend if there's been any corrosion.
Still, when I was dismantling my father's antennas after he died, I took two 20
foot, 2 inch diameter, 1/8 inch wall aluminium tubes that were joined by a
specially turned aluminium bar that had been driven into the ends, and just
pulled them apart - something I couldn't do when I put them together some 20
years earlier. I think in that case, the joining bar had corroded down in size
- it was white and powdery.
73
Peter G3RZP