Re: [TowerTalk] What Killed the Computers? was: Re: Grounding ofAmateur

To: Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What Killed the Computers? was: Re: Grounding ofAmateur Radio installations
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:07:57 -0500
> Hmmm ... interesting theories - but in my case,
> there was physical evidence of EMP coming in on
> the network port - it was welded into the computer.
> Moreover, I have a whole house surge protector, as
> well as surge protectors on individual computers.
> While one of them was motherboard-dead, the other
> lost its network and video cards only, as well as
> an LCD monitor ... its power supply is still chugging
> along.  And finally, none of the other consumer
> electronics connected to the same or other circuits
> were damaged, so I conclude that the whole house surge
> protector probably did its job.
> 73, Pete N4ZR

Our whole-house protector is only guaranteed to
defend the big appliances (motors/compressors) but
I see it as knocking down the high-level surges so
the lighter duty surge protectors can do their jobs.

I have been considering moving the three desktops
and the laptops all to wireless so that the DSL
modem and Wireless Router are the sacrificial
devices protecting the rest from surges along the
network lines. (Have a spare for each just in case.)

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
... in sunny & warm Florida  :-)