Re: [TowerTalk] "Wind Load" "Wind Area"

To: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Wind Load" "Wind Area"
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 06:31:29 +0000
Bob:

     The windload rating of a tower usually stipulates that the specified load
is applied at some distance above the tower top, like maybe one or two feet.
If your multiple antenna installation spreads out your antennas over let's say
15 feet of mast (triband Yagi a foot above the tower, 2L 40M Yagi ten feet
above that and a longboom VHF Yagi five feet above that), then you can't simply
add the antennas' respective areas.  You have to take into account the moment
(leverage) that these various antennas at these various distances above the
tower top impart to the tower.  If you do this (spread out your antennas) you
could very easily exceed the tower's maximum windload.

     Another way of saying this is if your tower is rated at 20 sqft of load at
one foot above the tower top, it is then rated for LESS than 20 sqft if that
one antenna is MORE than a foot above the tower top.

     There is an article by W7NI that was published in the NCJ for Sep/Oct 1982
and Mar/Apr 1983 and republished in Jan/Feb 1992 NCJ titled Antenna Mast
Design.  Stan goes over the fairly simple math involved in calculating the
moment that is imparted on towers by antenna wind loads at various distances
above the tower top.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "AD5VJ  Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>