Re: [TowerTalk] Which thruse bearing?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Which thruse bearing?
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 20:43:00 -0500

> Trust me guys, the only way you MIGHT save the bearing is to have a
> flexible low impedance strap connected to the tower and mast. You wouldn't
> believe the number of bearings I've seen pitted, melted or

Why not run the mast through a sleeve a couple of feet long mounted between
the tower top plate and a rotator plate below?  Actually the sleeve could be
much longer depending on what would be convenient to install.

Due to movement and flexing the mast will almost always be in contact with
it.  The area between the mast and sleeve is large and would not let much of
a charge build up. It would tend to reroute much of the current that would
have gone through the rotator.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com

welded together just from some welder striking an arc on machinery. any
current flow will have an effect on the bearing.