Re: [TowerTalk] Towers and property values

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Towers and property values
From: William Q Meeker <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:09:03 -0600

I had heard that another ham in town, after securing a permit for a 150
foot tower, did have his assessment increased (Story County, Iowa). I do
not recall if he appealed or not.

After we built our new house (and my towers were installed) last year, the
county assessor's office sent out a person to look things over so that they
could do an assessment. The person was very interested in my towers and
antennas and asked the cost. I gave him an honest figure, but argued that
the towers were not a permanent improvement to the land, and should be
considered more like a boat in the back yard. I went on to say that in
spite of the fact that the towers were set in concrete, my permit
application (for the "antenna support structures") contained a statement
that I would remove the towers (or they would otherwise be removed) after
we sell the house, unless it is sold to another ham.

When the number came it there was no detailed explanation, but we were not
displeased with it---I believe that the person from the county took into
consideration my views and did not include the towers in his calculation.

Bill Meeker
K0KT

>From: Alan NV8A <nv8a@att.net>
>Subject: [TowerTalk] Towers and property values
>Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:22:58 -0500
>To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
>
>It just occurred to me to look at this issue differently.
>
>I have read that one reason municipalities demand building permits is that
>they can up the value of a property based on the improvements and then
>collect more property tax.
>
>Are there cases where people have been granted a permit for a tower on a
>residential property and had the value raised as a result?
>
>(Neither of these applies here: (a) Michigan property values can be raised
>by more than the CPI only when the property changes hands; (b) in this
>municipality -- and many surrounding ones -- permits are not required for
>towers and antennas used by FCC-licensed amateurs.)
>
>73
>
>Alan NV8A

William Q. Meeker
Department of Statistics