Re: [TowerTalk] Code test eliminated

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Code test eliminated
From: EL34GUY@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 09:43:23 EST
Im glad they dropped it,

I got 13wpm cw 20 years ago and have had 5 cw qso's total in my life. I  just
never cared to use it. Just my preference I guess. I know some decent guys
that this will open up the amateur radio doors for that I will be happy to call
 hams.

Im pretty sure we are not going to see a huge influx of new operators
anyway. Too much competition from the internet, gaming, and cell phone
industries
to make it a stampede. I hope we get some new guys though that's for  sure.

So can someone really say with a straight face that because they passed a
20wpm cw test, they are a better ham operator than another who did only 5wpm or

didn't take a cw test at all?

BTW, the internet has helped me to be a much better informed and active  ham.
This group inparticular has been awesome for getting ideas for both towers
and antennas across to people in a way I could have never explored on my own
before to be honest. Truly a great time to be in amateur radio. 73

Mark
W0NCL