Re: [TowerTalk] Code test eliminated

To: "'Bob Maser'" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>, <KI9A@aol.com>,<w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Code test eliminated
From: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@att.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 00:15:20 -0500
Bob,
That is like a "gold star" on one's sleeve and just wrong.
If you want to talk with folks who know CW, then work it...I do!
There have always been too many bone heads on each and any of the bands to
marginalize other fine folks for the lack of the CW requirement that never
filtered out the bone heads in the first place.

For the record, the ARRL wanted to retain the CW 5 WPM requirement for
Extras.  The FCC went with their own proposal.

While I would have preferred the ARRL proposal, I am comfortable with the
FCC's action and have already started promoting the idea of an HF Amateur
Radio license to many friends in Scouting, OEM, CERT, and work now that the
rules will be changed.

These folks will be assets to the Amateur Radio community, technically,
operationally and socially.

Vy 73,
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
Extra Class