Re: [TowerTalk] 56' Shunt fed? 40 and 80

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 56' Shunt fed? 40 and 80
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:55:29 -0500
I thought of feeding it as a quarter way, but I'd prefer to use it on both
bands which of course could be done with a matching network with the tower
grounded or insulated.

As my main tower seems to take a lot of direct lightning strikes and this
vertical will at most be 100 to 125 feet from it, I'd also prefer to keep it
grounded. That too can be done through a matching network or choke.

I do have plenty of larger Aluminum tubing to use to extend the tower height
to reach an electrical quarter wave on 75 or half wave on 40.  With a bit of
playing around I could probably make it adjustable.

> Dennis,
> Get some fiberglass rod and insulate the tower from the base.  Put 8' of

Of fiberglass and resin, I have lots.

> aluminum tubing out the top so the overall height is about 64'.
> Then feed it directly with coax, not through a shunt feed.  Won't work
> well on 40m, but will be very good on 80m.  I will have three of them,
> phased, built exactly that way for 80m.

I'm going to be stuck with one so I'd prefer to use it on both bands, but at
the rate I'm going the back yard will be frozen solid and covered with two
feet of snow before I get to it.

For convenience and speed it may end up just a quarter wave on 75 this
winter...IF I'm lucky. <:-))

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com