[TowerTalk] Capstan

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Capstan
From: "Thomas Tow" <ttow1@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:49:54 -0600
Under the tower scares the bejeebies out of me. We erected my 110' Rohn 55
easily using a heavy rope and capstan winch. The winch was mounted on a
trailer hitch type of apparatus on the installers flatbed truck..approx 75'
away from the tower. We used two Rohn 25 sections with top mounted pulleys
as a gin pole and they were chained to each installed Rohn 55 section as we
went up. We even lifted sections with a tic ring mounted, side mounts, guy
brackets  etc. Easily done. I used a foot switch at the winch and then using
my hand tension on the capstan rope itself to move in tiny..maybe1/8 inch up
or down movements as needed while he matched the sections and set the bolts.
Incredible to be able to be that far away and move those sections so
slightly to help align the bolt holes..pretty cool...and from a safe
distance. I will never do it any other way on heavy sections...maybe using a
gin pole on Rohn 25 would be easier.. but anything directly under the tower
is asking for disaster whatever the load. A falling tower section or most
anything else 100' up has no respect for a hardhat  Tommy WD4K