Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Grips

To: K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Grips
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:27:04 EST

Phillystran grips are VERY different from EHS grips:

!> they are wound in the reverse direction from EHS grips
2> the inside diameter is different from any EHS grip
3>they are much longer than any EHS grips

They are made of galvanized steel and this makes the  appearance quite
similar.

The much lower manufacturing volume, increased amount of  material and the
extra level in the distribution chain makes Phillystran grips  cost more than
equivalent strength EHS grips.

We purchase EHS grips directly from the manufacturer but we  are not allowed
to do this with Phillystran grips.

Shameless plug follows:
Both types of grips are stocked at Texas Towers

73,
Gerald Williamson, K5GW
General Manager, Texas Towers

In a message dated 12/20/2006 4:45:13 A.M. Central Standard Time,
K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net writes:

> In a message dated 12/19/2006 5:28:16 P.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
> towertalk-request@contesting.com  writes:
>
>>   I'd feel comfortable using a guy grip  on 7-strand  steel cable tram
> line, since that's what it was  designed for.   According to my
> understanding, one can't  re-use the same guy grip over and  over... so it
> would have to be  tossed at the end of the job (unless you're  saving the
> tram line  with the guy grip for reuse at a future date).   I don't  know
> how the manufacturer feels about using a guy grip designed   for 7-strand
> cable on wire rope of the same diameter; the  manufacturer's  Prime
> Directive applies here.  Maybe there  are grips designed  specifically for
> wire  rope.

Looking at them they appear to use the same grips on  EHS as they do
Phillistran or are looks deceiving?