[TowerTalk] Concentric Masts

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>,CADXA <CADXA@LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concentric Masts
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:15:24 -0700
I'm going to be limited to one freestanding tower at this QTH, but I'd
like to be able to operate two stations simultaneously (with appropriate
filters) for when friends visit.  I expect to put a 40m yagi about 10
feet above a decent tribander and would like to be able to point them
independently.   TICs won't fit the tower, and side mounts won't give me
full azimuth.  Has anyone ever tried to use concentric masts, such as a
longer 2 inch mast inside a shorter 3 inch mast, driven by two different
rotators?  A sketch of the concept can be found at
www.stone-ridge-road.com/ab7e.  It seems simple enough that I'm sure
others have tried it and I'm curious what issues they might have had
with it (coax loops getting tangled, etc).  The rotator for the 3 inch
mast might even fit inside the tower.  The idea doesn't look like it
would cost much extra to implement, aside from the second rotator and
mast of course.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

73,
Dave   AB7E