[TowerTalk] banging crankup towers

To: arm@uniontel.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] banging crankup towers
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 12:45:47 -0500
Rick, TT:

Although I don't have experience with this particular
tower, I HAVE had a couple of tubular crankups, and a
45G foldover, all of which were house bracketed.

Where there is structural motion, there will be noise.

Where there is a house bracket, that noise will be conducted
into the structure.

Murphy's law says it will be loudest in your bedroom at 2 am.

You can't really decouple the bracket acoustically, so about
all you can do is try and limit the structural motion.
Crank the thing up all the way, against the stops, and see
if it quiets down.

I had an MA-40 once...bracketed outside my second story bedroom.
The inner tube used to rotate slightly in the wind, making a
sound like a banshee howling.  It moved less than 1/4", rotationally,
but man, was it loud inside.  Could hardly hear it outside.

If I were to put up a house-bracketed tower, at this point, I'd
make sure it was on the opposite side of the house from where I
sleep.

n2ea