Re: [TowerTalk] RE- best repeater configuration - Looking formoresuggest

To: "'Randy Molyneaux (ve5 rjm)'" <ve5rjm@hotmail.com>,<TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RE- best repeater configuration - Looking formoresuggestions
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:40:56 -0500
Hi Randy,

You do realize that an 8 bay antenna at VHF is going to be around 45 feet in
length? That is going to consume almost 1/2 of your tower. The effective
height of that antenna will be at its center point.

Also the gain figures that you were looking at were for one direction-
offset pattern. You have to look close at those graphs that they give you as
at first glance it appears to have gain in all directions but in fact may
have loss in some directions. You have to find the zero db circle on the
graph. I don't think the pdf on the site has enough resolution to see it.

As for the duplexer, the first thing to do is find out from the repeater
manufacturer how much tx to rx isolation is required at the frequency
spacing you are going to use. Then look at a duplexer that will provide that
amount of isolation. Getting a duplexer with less isolation will not do the
job and getting one with more is a waste of money.

As for the hybrid ring, Sinclair radio was famous for that for their close
spaced duplexers many years ago. There have been improvements in cavity
coupling and loop designs since and you don't see that used much anymore.

73
Gary  K4FMX