Re: [TowerTalk] Preserving Guy cables

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <kc8hz@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Preserving Guy cables
From: "Bob Moore" <ki6iv@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:24:38 -0800
Steve-

There can probably be much debate on what is best.  I am no expert at this.
One of my job duties involves in working with ski areas.  Ski areas, which
deal in long lengths of large diameter haul ropes and also smaller ropes
typically use Caster Oil.  They will apply a small drip as the lift is
running, then also manually worked it into the sides so 100% of the exterior
is oiled plus a drip to penetrate to the core.  This is part of the summer
maintenance program.  I know of ropes that have been in service for over 30
years and are in good shape.  The theory is that it also will soak into the
fiber center core of the rope and slowly release during use to keep each
wire lubricated.  The diameters and type of ropes we use usually don't have
a fiber (or synthetic) core, but the theory's are the same and if it is a
working rope some lubricant needs to be applied, which will also protect it.
If I had a crankup tower I would be using Caster Oil to keep the rope in
good shape.............Bob, K6NV