Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Selection Advice Wanted - Heavy Duty

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Selection Advice Wanted - Heavy Duty
From: "W3YY - Bob" <w3yy@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 02:59:52 -0000

This is not meant as a direct reply to any of the previous posts, but in
reading this thread it prompted me to share the following experience I had.

I have a F12 Magnum 240N 2-el 40-meter beam at 120ft rotated with a Yaesu
G-2800DXA.  This fall the factory supplied pin bolt was sheared.  We did
have some significant wind storms in the fall, but it's not clear which one
caused the damage.  After the pin bolt sheared there was some slippage
between the mast and the remaining clamp assembly, but not so much as to
cause any further damage until I discovered the problem and replaced the pin
bolt.

I had thought it would be impossible for a pin bolt to shear except in
exceptional circumstances, but now I have a new appreciation for either the
torque forces up there or the weakness of bolts, HI.

The fact that G-2800DXA did not fail before the forces sheared the bolt is
impressive to me.

73, Bob - W3YY