Re: [TowerTalk] Orion RC2800P

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Orion RC2800P
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 19:17:59 -0800
I had a discussion with M2 and came out thinking that YES, they do want the
mast to slip acting as protection to the gearing.
As to getting torque numbers for tightening the mast clamp bolts, M2
hesitated but then said 40 ft lbs.

I have asked Towertalkians before, but with no response, whether a somewhat
flexible torque tube in line with the mast would help.  When I watch my
MonstIR with a moderate wind, I see the ends of the elements flopping back
and forth after apparently hitting the worm gear to stop them.  If the shock
was reduced or spreadout over time by a coil spring or radiator hose-like
tube, would that help to let the mast clamps hold the mast against a
constant wind force?

k7puc