To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 49, Issue 51
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:17:00 -0500
     The problem in grain elevators is the static charge caused by the
movement of grain from ground to the top of the elevator. Works just like a
belt on VanDerGraff  generator. And this relative small voltage can be
discharged. That is a lot different from a thunder storm. So grounding
stuff at the top of the elevator while adding lightning rods could improve
the situation. Like a battery, in the case of a grain elevator you have
both ends available that you can short and discharge it. In the case of
lighting on end is far away in the clouds.

73
Bill wa4lav